Monday, January 28, 2013

New school

Due to some very unfortunate circumstances at Rena's school, we had to make the very tough decision to pull her out two weeks ago. She's transitioning to public kinder in the fall and she had just four months left in pre-K at her current school (which she's been at since she was 17 months old). The actions that happened in her class would horrify any parent with small children. And worst of all we feel the directors were terrible about handling the situation. We felt she wasn't safe there anymore and we couldn't trust the directors. She went to school 4 days a week, 6 hours a day and we just couldn't drop her off there again and not worry all day. So we pulled her out (many kids in her class pulled out) and she stayed home for a week while we looked into other options.  A local MDO (mother's day out) program had an opening for a two day a week pre-K class and the two teachers came very highly recommended by two of my best friends. So I took Rena to tour the school and meet the teachers and she just fell in love with the place! So we signed her up and she went to her new school Tues and Thurs last week. She loves her teachers, made new friends, and really did great! And she loves that she doesn't have to wear a uniform or take a nap!! ;) This is a huge deal since she stopped napping about a year ago but still had to lay down for over an hour at her old school. I was so worried that Rena would have a tough time transitioning to a new school but she's really done great! I'm so proud of my girl. The new director assured me she would do fine and said kids are so resilient and this is so true. And I really enjoy having her at home more and we're staying busy doing a lot of fun activities. And now we have more time to just relax, play at the park, visit new places, etc. She will be in full time kinder before I know it, so I'm trying to just slow down and cherish this time with her! So I guess there is always a silver lining in any bad situation! We feel so relieved and happy that this worked out!

All ready for her first day...I let her pick out her outfit!

Ready to go in!

She was sooo excited and didn't even look back when she walked into class!

Mommy surprised her with little Max and Ruby dolls when I picked her up (we were saving them for part of her Valentine's presents but decided she deserved a little reward for doing so well!)

2 comments:

Kendra said...

So glad she loves it!! :)

Leah said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you all had to deal with changing schools but I'm glad that Rena is doing well. I hope you both enjoy your extra time together!